Making a complaint – Taxation Ombudsman
How the Taxation Ombudsman can help you
We can help you with complaints about the administrative actions of the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB).
‘Administrative action’ is a broad term that includes the fairness and reasonableness of the ATO and TPB’s approach in their dealings or interactions with you.
Examples of dealings or interactions we can assist you with include:
- the timeliness of responses to your requests;
- the actions of ATO or TPB officers;
- the availability of services (such as the Tax Agent Portal); or
- whether the ATO/TPB officer has considered all relevant information provided in your case.
Examples of dealings or interactions we are not empowered to assist you with include:
- rules or laws about your obligation to pay an amount of tax; or
- rules or laws about the quantification of that amount of tax.
Our powers are set out in the Inspector-General of Taxation Act 2003 (as amended in 2015). Further details are available on the Our Legislation page.
If we are not empowered to assist you we will still seek to assist by referring you to an agency or support provider who may be able to do so.
How to contact us
The easiest way to contact us is through making a complaint using our online form.
Please be aware that many matters may be quickly resolved by contacting the internal complaints departments of the ATO and the TPB directly. You may wish to contact them to discuss your concerns before lodging a complaint with us. Relevant contact details are provided through the links below:
If you decide to make a complaint with us, please be advised that:
- This form must be completed in one sitting.
- All fields which are marked with a red asterisk (*) are mandatory.
- You should have on hand electronic copies of any relevant documents you may want to attach with your complaint.
- If you are making this complaint on behalf of another person, we will need to confirm that you are authorised by that other person to discuss their affairs. We have prepared a standard authorisation form which also may be accessed through the Complaint Form.
If you are experiencing difficulties using this form, you may also contact us Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm Sydney time by:
Telephone: 1300 44 88 29
Facsimile: 02 8239 2100
Post: GPO Box 551, Sydney NSW 2001
To ensure that we provide a consistent service to our stakeholders, please be advised that we do not accept complaints by way of direct email or direct telephone calls to any members of our staff.
Please note that correspondence received by post may take longer to process and we may not be able to respond to you as quickly as we would like.
If you are a non-English speaking person, we can help you through the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450. If you are hearing, sight or speech impaired, please call the National Relay Service on 133 677.