Death and Taxes – Investigation into ATO systems and processes for dealing with Deceased Estates
The investigation seeks to identify opportunities to improve the administration of deceased estate tax compliance. The IGTO will examine and consider:
- the experiences of the community (family and friends) in managing the tax affairs for the deceased;
- the ATO’s policies, processes and guidelines for receiving information from and dealing with deceased estates;
- the public guidance issued by the ATO to assist executors or administrators;
- the ATO’s systems, including the ATO Portals, for dealing with deceased estates;
- any legislative impediments to the efficient administration of deceased estates; and
- any other relevant issues to the administration of deceased estate tax obligations.
All taxpayers, advisers (tax practitioners, solicitors or barristers, financial planners, trustee and estate service providers) and professional bodies are welcome to provide examples and suggestions for improving the administration of the tax laws and systems for the deceased.
How to lodge a submission
The closing date for submissions is 6 December 2019. Submissions may be lodged by telephone (02 8239 2111) or be sent by:
Inspector-General of Taxation and Taxation Ombudsman
GPO Box 551
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Fax: (02) 8239 2100
Email to: email@example.com